Saturday, May 26, 2012

Memories of Zoe

Today marks two years since the passing of Zoe Monster. 

"God saw you getting tired and a cure was not to be. So he put his arms around you; whispered come with me. With tearful eyes, I watched and saw you drift away.  Although I loved you more than you'll ever know I could not make you stay.  A golden heart stopped beating as I stroked your soft coat.  God broke my heart to prove he only takes the best".  While your loss has proved to be more than I thought I could endure your heart still is close as memories inside my heart."

Today marks two years since the passing of my dear sweet Zoe Monster.  Zoe's passing came only weeks after losing Maggie.  I had just come to lean on Zoe to help me deal with losing Maggie when her time came as well.  Maggie and Zoe set the stage for the hundreds of hounds to follow.  They were inseparable in life and live on together in their passing.

I found Zoe in August 2001 while visiting South Florida.  Zoe was listed as "free to a good home" in the classified ad that caught my eye during breakfast at George's Diner in Deerfield Beach.  I'll never forget introducing Maggie to this sweet super petite little puppy.  Maggie was initially not impressed and answered the introduction with an uncharacteristic little growl.  That lasted all of about fifteen seconds before they became the best of friends. 


Zoe idolized her big sister Maggie with a bond that never wavered.  This is one of my favorite pictures of little Zoe buried beneath the blankets sleeping with her big sister Maggie.

                              
As a puppy Zoe was so full of life. Always happy and energized Zoe added a unique personality far different than Maggie's laid back approach at life. She loved our travels quickly adjusting to a life on the road never missing an opportunity to ham it up when she could. This in contrast to her short past as a product of an Oklahoma puppy mill where she found herself in a south Florida pet shop for sale.



Zoe would mature into a strikingly regal yet petite red and white basset who was truly beautiful.  Zoe never met a camera that she couldn't pose for either resulting in some of our best shots.

While there isn't a day that goes by where her presence isn't felt it is the memories she left behind that I will always cherish.  The days spent on the road with Maggie and Zoe were some of the happiest memories of my life.  Till we meet again my dear sweet Zoe remember you were always loved.   


Sweet dreams Zoe Monster - sweet dreams.




 


No comments: